French Toast Sticks
Duration: 30 mins to 1 hour
Allow children to prep.
Don't worry if the bread is not cut or look perfect - let children enjoy the accomplishment
Make sure there's no water in the frying pan before adding the butter so it wont splatter
Leave the flame on low to medium heat if children are going to help with the frying
Photo source: Just A Taste
Large plate or baking dish
Large frying pan
Tongs (used for frying)
4 slices thick-cut toast
2 large eggs
2/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
unsalted butter, for cooking
maple syrup, for serving
1. Cut each slice of toast into four sticks. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
3. Dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture, turning to coat it on all sides so that it's well-coated with the mixture
4. Shake off any excess and place the coated bread on a large plate or baking dish.
5. Repeat the dipping process with the remaining pieces of bread.
6. Heat a pan over medium heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter.
7. Once the butter has melted, place several of the coated sticks in a single layer in the pan (Do not overcrowd the pan).
8. Cook until golden brown on one side then flip and continue cooking until the sticks are golden brown and slightly crisped on all edges.
9. Serve immediately with maple syrup for dipping.
Keywords: cut, line, 4, sticks, rectangle, bread, coat, sides, coated, flip, edges, dip, sweet, fry, hot, becareful